Casting with Mobile Mixed Reality Camera
Casting allows you to share what you’re seeing in VR with others around you. Mobile mixed reality camera shares an immersive view of your real world self interacting with the VR world around you.
Mobile mixed reality camera is intended to be a two-person cast and capture experience where both the caster and the viewer are using devices on the same Wi-Fi network. To use the mobile mixed reality camera, you’ll need to meet the compatibility requirements listed below.
The following headsets can be used with mobile mixed reality camera.
- Meta Quest 2
- Meta Quest
The following table contains the mobile devices that currently support mobile mixed reality camera. We plan on providing support for additional devices in the future.
|Mobile Device||Supported||Not Currently Supported|
|iPhone XS Max|
|iPhone SE - 2nd version|
|iPhone 11 Pro|
|iPhone 11 Pro Max|
|iPhone 12 Pro|
|iPhone 12 Pro Max|
|iPhone 12 mini|
|iPhone 13 Pro|
|iPhone 13 Pro Max|
|iPhone 13 Mini|
|iPad (all models)|
|Android phone (all models)|
|Android tablet (all models)|
Note:Supported devices must be on iOS11+
Currently, mobile mixed reality camera is supported for the following apps:
- Beat Saber
- SUPERHOT VR
- Richie’s Plank Experience
- Pistol Whip
- Synth Riders
- Gravity Sketch
Keep in mind, some apps may also have a setting you need to enable within the app in order for mobile mixed reality camera to work.
Mobile mixed reality camera is intended to be a two-person cast and capture experience where both the caster and the viewer are using devices on the same Wi-Fi network.
- To start, have the viewer open the Meta Quest mobile app on a compatible phone and tap .
- Tap to go to the Mobile Mixed Reality Camera mode.
- For the person wearing the headset, the mobile mixed reality camera setup app will open automatically. If it doesn’t, make sure that both the headset and phone are on the same WiFi network.
- Select Begin Setup to calibrate the Touch controllers.
- This in-headset prompt shows for the first few times that you use mobile mixed reality camera.
- Place the Touch controllers on a flat surface with the ring side down, and the handles pointing up.
- Have the viewer point the phone towards the Touch controllers. When this is completed, the calibration feature will create two virtual rings.
- Have the viewer follow the onscreen instructions to map the left circle to the ring on the left controller, and the right circle to the ring on your right controller.
- Before completing this step, check from a few angles to make sure the virtual ring is centered directly on top of the controller ring.
- When the controller calibration is complete, both the person in VR and the viewer will receive confirmation of a completed calibration.
- From here, the person in VR will be prompted to open up a compatible app like Beatsaber.
- You can find a list of apps that work with mobile mixed reality camera under compatibility requirements in the section above.
- Once the person in VR launches a compatible app, the viewer will be able to see the VR environment as well as how the person wearing the headset is interacting with the app in VR.
- You can also record the experience to share it later.
There are a few things you can do to help ensure that the setup and use of mobile mixed reality camera is as simple and effective as possible.
- Make sure that your headset software is up to date. This includes both the operating system, as well as any mobile mixed reality compatible apps.
- Make sure that the surface you’re using to calibrate the controllers on is flat and even.
- Make sure that the position and orientation of your controllers matches the prompts shown on your phone.
- During calibration, try to align the virtual rings as closely as possible to the controller rings on your physical controllers.
- Before you complete the calibration step, check from a few angles to make sure the virtual ring is centered directly on top of the controller ring
- Make sure that the Meta Quest mobile app is up to date on your phone.
- When calibrating, make sure that you are holding the phone vertically and not moving too fast.
- Make sure that you use mobile mixed reality camera in a well lit room. Generally, if you could comfortably read a book in the room, then the lighting level should be adequate.