The Traffic API is a suite of web services designed for developers to create web and mobile applications around real-time traffic. These web services can be used via RESTful APIs. The TomTom Traffic team offers a wide range of solutions to enable you to get the most out of your applications. Make use of the real-time traffic products or the historical traffic analytics to create applications and analysis that fits the needs of your end-users.
The offering is split into:
- Traffic Incidents: This provides an accurate view about traffic jams and incidents around a road network.
- Traffic Flow: This provides real time observed speeds and travel times for all key roads in a network.
The Traffic API web services are based on the real-time traffic data TomTom Traffic&trade, and consists of the the following services with endpoints:
The Traffic Incidents service is a suite of web services designed for developers to create web and mobile applications around real-time traffic.
The Traffic Flow service is a suite of web services designed for developers to create web and mobile applications around real-time traffic.
The Traffic API Resource service delivers resources required to display vector traffic maps.
Vector Tile Structure
Vector Tiles are served in binary format, which uses Google Protocol Buffers as the method of serializing structured data.
Traffic API Release Notes
Records the release date with the addition, improvement, deprecation, removal, and known issues associated with a product release.
Traffic API Market Coverage
Indicates where in the world the Traffic Incidents API and Traffic Flow API are covered.
- To get your API Key, you first need to be registered for the TomTom Developer Portal. If you don't have an account, no worries! Register / Sign in now before continuing.
- Once you are registered, go to your Dashboard and locate the API Key that you would like to use (we've created the first one for you, it's called My first API Key).
- Read the documentation and start coding.
- Consider using the TomTom Maps SDK for Web, for iOS, and for Android.
- Check related Blog articles for further information.
Harness the power of TomTom Traffic™ for your application! In both the Traffic Flow and Traffic Incident RESTful APIs, different road categories are displayed depending on the zoom level.
- Is updated every minute with the very latest traffic incident and delay information.
- Returns detailed information about traffic jams and traffic related incidents.
- Details include: start-location, end-location, road-name, type of delay, length (in time) of the delay, significance, and distance.
- The Raster and Vector Incident Tile APIs provide traffic incident and delay information for display on your map view.
- Is updated every minute with very latest traffic speed information.
- Returns detailed information about traffic speed.
- Details include: current speed, freeflow speed, and quality indicator.
- The Raster and Vector Flow Tile APIs provide traffic speed information for display on your map view.
- An option is provided to use the absolute or relative speed information.
- Real-time traffic incident data on a map, or display real-time traffic segment speed data on a map.
- Traffic delay data with delay details like location, length, and delay.
- Segment details like free-flow speed, current speed, and confidence values.
- Obtain current traffic speed information with information about the real-time speed per road segment and display them on a TomTom map.
- The severity of the current traffic condition with colored tubes indicating the delay severity.
- The accurate location of slowdowns with colored tubes indicating the delay severity.
The Traffic Flow Speed information with other real-time traffic information for a Traffic Management Monitoring application.