|← Discussion pages||Wikimedia Forums||Archives →|
The Wikimedia Forum is a central place for questions, announcements and other discussions about the Wikimedia Foundation and its projects. (For discussion about the Meta wiki, see Meta:Babel.)
|SpBot archives all sections tagged with
Movement Strategy and Governance News – Issue 6
Movement Strategy and Governance News
Issue 6, April 2022Read the full newsletter
Welcome to the sixth issue of Movement Strategy and Governance News! This revamped newsletter distributes relevant news and events about the Movement Charter, Universal Code of Conduct, Movement Strategy Implementation grants, Board of trustees elections and other relevant MSG topics.
This Newsletter will be distributed quarterly, while the more frequent Updates will also be delivered weekly. Please remember to subscribe here if you would like to receive future issues of this newsletter.
The Twitter account @WiktionaryUsers ("Writing on behalf of the http://en.wiktionary.org community") last posted in 2013. I gather the account creator no longer has access to it. Is there someone at WMF who can assist in usurping the account (by providing verifiable bona fides; and/ or a WMF email address) so that it can again be used? Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 14:49, 29 June 2022 (UTC)
- There is also https://twitter.com/Wiktionary which is suspended. The reason is unclear but it could be trademark issues. If that is true, I think it is something WMF can make a claim about as the owner of the trademark. I think WMF will have less say about the "WiktionaryUsers" account at least from the standpoint of trademark. whym (talk) 02:21, 2 July 2022 (UTC)
- Other groups I'm part of maintain a persistent small group of social-media-ambassadors who maintain contacts with the major platforms, know how the accounts are run, and think about how to help keep them active and help community maintain + curate their posts. The group should include staff and community members; contact emails for the accounts should probably be @ the org, precisely for these usurpation reasons (so here: wikimedia.org unless someone else wants to specialize in this) but forwarded to all members of the group. –SJ talk 01:34, 13 July 2022 (UTC)
- I apologize for the delayed reply, Andy. We have been looking into this process and it is more complex than originally anticipated. I will keep you posted on updates and as we learn more. I appreciate your patience. Thank you. LDickinson (WMF) (talk) 19:39, 5 August 2022 (UTC)
- 最後我也想問問 Wikimedia worldwide strategy 這些標題只是在跟隨同行業者製作的口號嗎？為什麼我覺得實質的問題一樣存在，又有那些問題已經被這些戰略解決了？我們願意等待改革的時間，但是這個戰略需要的改善時間我們真的沒辦法在有限的生命時間中親眼見證結果！講出事實總是會讓人感到非常的不被尊重，不願意接受事實的人們往往會把這些事實的陳述當成是他人在進行言語的攻擊，承接在我留下這篇討論之前已經有許多來自不同的地區，擁有不同文化背景的（Wikimedia 志願者）一樣也有同樣的觀點，那麼我們的討論一直圍繞在管理、政策的模糊地帶，差異只在使用不同的語言文字而已，共通的想法通常不須要經過語言就能出現一樣的想法，在國際上的法律有的名詞定義為：國際普通法，在人類的生活中普遍使用的習慣都可以適合使用國際通用行為的法則。Ch.Jaguar (talk) 12:58, 8 July 2022 (UTC)
- Note: This topic was moved from Talk:Leadership_Development_Working_Group. --SCP-2000 15:32, 8 July 2022 (UTC)
- The original, and other posts by this editor, seem pretty incoherent. Partial translation of the topic sentences below. –SJ talk 18:59, 18 July 2022 (UTC) 1. Since these days, I have been searching for some knowledge in the computer field on the Internet, including many well-known software companies... 2. I just want to ask these companies is it difficult to write a brief introduction about the company?...
- 3. Finally, I also want to ask Wikimedia worldwide strategy Are these titles just following the slogans made by the same industry?...
Question about importing and the abuse filter
Talysh Wikipedia (Wp/tly) logo
Commons' "CropTool", essential to the workflow of a number of contributors, has been badly broken for over a month. There appears, from discussion on its talk page, Village Pumps, and at GitHub, to be no work in hand to fix it. What is to be done?
- Has anyone reached out directly to the maintainer e.g. via email about the issue?
- To your general question, no, it's not appropriate. The best practice is to have multiple maintainers (CropTool only has one). In theory cropping is important enough functionality that it should be supported by MediaWiki itself. I found T9757, which is about cropping at render time and T159640, which is cropping at upload time (or post-upload). Personally, I have offered to mentor someone on implementing backend image rotation support, which is tangentially related in that if we have a backend that can rotate images, in theory it's straightforward to add backend cropping support. Legoktm (talk) 05:30, 18 July 2022 (UTC)
It appears that the WMF will be unilaterally making changes to these policies, see Talk:CheckUser_policy#Notification_of_upcoming_changes_to_policy. I thought the community owned these policies? Rschen7754 00:04, 19 July 2022 (UTC)
Question about Gerrit
Announcing the six candidates for the 2022 Board of Trustees election
The Affiliate voting process has concluded. Representatives from each Affiliate organization learned about the candidates by reading candidates’ statements, reviewing candidates’ answers to questions, and considering the candidates’ ratings provided by the Analysis Committee. The selected 2022 Board of Trustees candidates are:
- Tobechukwu Precious Friday (Tochiprecious)
- Farah Jack Mustaklem (Fjmustak)
- Shani Evenstein Sigalov (Esh77)
- Kunal Mehta (Legoktm)
- Michał Buczyński (Aegis Maelstrom)
- Mike Peel (Mike Peel)
Please take a moment to appreciate the Affiliate Representatives and Analysis Committee members for taking part in this process and helping to grow the Board of Trustees in capacity and diversity. These hours of volunteer work connect us across understanding and perspective. Thank you for your participation.
Thank you to the community members who put themselves forward as candidates for the Board of Trustees. Considering joining the Board of Trustees is no small decision. The time and dedication candidates have shown to this point speaks to their commitment to this movement. Congratulations to those candidates who have been selected. A great amount of appreciation and gratitude for those candidates not selected. Please continue to share your leadership with Wikimedia.
Thank you to those who followed the Affiliate process for this Board election. You may review the results of the Affiliate selection process.
The next part of the Board election process is the community voting period. You may view the Board election timeline here. To prepare for the community voting period, there are several things community members can engage with in the following ways:
- Read candidates’ statements and read the candidates’ answers to the questions posed by the Affiliate Representatives.
- Propose and select the 6 questions for candidates to answer during their video Q&A.
- See the Analysis Committee’s ratings of candidates on each candidate’s statement.
- Propose statements for the Election Compass voters can use to find which candidates best fit their principles.
- Encourage others in your community to take part in the election.
Movement Strategy and Governance
This message was sent on behalf of the Board Selection Task Force and the Elections Committee
- @MNadzikiewicz (WMF): Did the 6 elected candidates accept their candidacy? That is didn't they refuse? Dušan Kreheľ (talk) 19:13, 19 July 2022 (UTC)
- Thanks Maciej! Dušan: I don't know what you mean -- they all opted into the election, and answered extensive questions to stand as candidates. So, yes. –SJ talk 02:32, 20 July 2022 (UTC)
Brand Stewardship Report
- "The goal of this report is to educate people both new to and seasoned in the Wikimedia movement about the complex and fun process of stewarding the Wikimedia brands which includes projects and ongoing processes to amplify awareness, usage, and support as well as maintain and protect legal trademark rights through policy and practice."
More information, including the content outline, is available on the above-linked page. Please leave feedback and questions on its talk page. Thank you, and happy editing! RAdimer-WMF (talk) 17:08, 22 July 2022 (UTC)
Let's talk about the Desktop Improvements
Join an online meeting with the team working on the Desktop Improvements! It will take place on 26 July 2022 at 12:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC on Zoom. Click here to join. Meeting ID: 5304280674. Dial by your location.
Global removal/ban of GFDL
Hello! I has been known for many years that GFDL is not a good license for many purposes. Motivated by a wish to make it easier to re-use files the Wikimedia Foundation Board decided in 2009 to stop using GFDL as a sole license while allowing importation of text without the GFDL license. The Wikimedia Foundation Board did not forbid GFDL for media files but encourages people to use licenses other than GFDL, for example CC licenses. Now many wikis no longer accept GFDL for images. See 2018 discussion on Commons and the 2021 discussion on enwiki about restricting GFDL.
I have checked most wikis and suggested to remove GFDL as a suggested license during upload. Many wikis removed GFDL but a few did not. So there are still wikis where you can upload files licensed GFDL without having to add it manually. Even if GFDL is not on the drop down list of licenses it is still legal to upload files and add GFDL manually on most wikis.
- @MGA73 I suppose what I'd like to see from your proposal is a statement of impact. That is, who would be impacted by this? I don't think that common projects like commonswiki/wikidata have this issue for media, and many local projects simply don't allow local uploads at all.
- I also can't see that there is any problem that text contributions are multi-licensed this way; for revision publications - what is the benefit of this change across every project? — xaosflux Talk 18:39, 27 July 2022 (UTC)
- Yeah those are good points. I will make sure to include examples when it is time for the proposal/vote. --MGA73 (talk) 21:35, 27 July 2022 (UTC)--MGA73 (talk) 21:35, 27 July 2022 (UTC)
- Xaosflux, one argument is that the GFDL provides kind of a ShareAlike loophole. I can print a paper Wikipedia, with improvements, license the whole thing GFDL-only and Wikipedia won't be able to use any of my improvements.
Another is that to import content GFDL is not required. So the imaginary paper Wikipedia I just printed may well infringe on the copyright of others who didn't license their content as GFDL. — Alexis Jazz (talk or ping me) 16:55, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
Vote for Election Compass Statements
Volunteers in the 2022 Board of Trustees election are invited to vote for statements to use in the Election Compass. You can vote for the statements you would like to see included in the Election Compass on Meta-wiki.
An Election Compass is a tool to help voters select the candidates that best align with their beliefs and views. The community members will propose statements for the candidates to answer using a Lickert scale (agree/neutral/disagree). The candidates’ answers to the statements will be loaded into the Election Compass tool. Voters will use the tool by entering in their answer to the statements (agree/disagree/neutral). The results will show the candidates that best align with the voter’s beliefs and views.
Here is the timeline for the Election Compass:
July 8 - 20: Volunteers propose statements for the Election Compass July 21 - 22: Elections Committee reviews statements for clarity and removes off-topic statements
- July 23 - August 1: Volunteers vote on the statements
- August 2 - 4: Elections Committee selects the top 15 statements
- August 5 - 12: candidates align themselves with the statements
- August 15: The Election Compass opens for voters to use to help guide their voting decision
The Elections Committee will select the top 15 statements at the beginning of August
Movement Strategy and Governance
This message was sent on behalf of the Board Selection Task Force and the Elections Committee
Hi! I just proposed Wikivideos, a project that aims to generate video content using wikitext.
It's based on Extension:WikiVideos, an extension that basically introduces <wikivideo> tags very similar to <gallery> tags, but that output videos rather than galleries (basically, an automated voice reads the text aloud while each image is shown, but there's much more too).
PS: If you feel like replying, please consider doing so at at Wikivideos or at https://wikivideos.org (depending on the nature of your comment) to try to keep the discussion together. Thanks! Sophivorus (talk) 03:50, 5 August 2022 (UTC)
Hola, necesito ayuda!
Hola, si alguien es Bibliotecario/Administrador en Es~Wiki, necesito que me hagan el favor de enviar el código de mi página de usuario a mi correo electrónico [email protected] porque allí me bloquearon injustamente y deseo el código para usarlo en otra Wiki. Yo me comuniqué con ellos pero me contestaron de mala manera y no me quisieron ayudar. La verdad sobre el asunto está en mi página de discusión, espero su pronta respuesta!
▮ ⇶ ProGamerJoab⚔YT ▮ ↯THE HACKER↯ ● 🗣️¿Hablamos? ⇒ 21:37, 5 August 2022 (UTC)
- @Joab Israel Infante Lee: es:Usuario:Joab Israel Infante Lee → Ver historial → You select the version (as, You click on the date of the version) → Ver código fuente (You don't will the actual source code version of the page, but the source code for the history version). Dušan Kreheľ (talk) 07:32, 6 August 2022 (UTC)
- Hola, no me funciona porque me borraron las páginas de usuario después de mi bloqueo, solo deseo que alguien sea amable de darme el código de mis subpáginas eliminadas que solo lo pueden hacer los administradores de es~wiki.
- Pido esto, porque ese código me costó mucho tiempo de desarrollo y tiene información importante como: códigos, programación, enlaces importantes, etc. Espero puedan ayudarme.
- ¡Muchas gracias por su ayuda!
▮ ⇶ ProGamerJoab⚔YT ▮ ↯THE HACKER↯ ● 🗣️¿Hablamos? ⇒ 01:32, 7 August 2022 (UTC)
They have no interface admins. — Alexis Jazz (talk or ping me) 16:50, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
July and August are identical on tywiki
In mw.config.get('wgMonthNames') July and August are both "nō tiurai" on w:ty. This is causing some unique problems. It's also like that in signatures.
I'd expect the error to be on translatewiki but I can't find it. I think nō tiurai is July. — Alexis Jazz (talk or ping me) 21:17, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
- Asked on . — Alexis Jazz (talk or ping me) 06:20, 12 August 2022 (UTC)
- Fixed thanks to Amire80! (issue was a local override) — Alexis Jazz (talk or ping me) 08:29, 12 August 2022 (UTC)
Proposal for a new wiki (Mineralwiki)
Hello, I have made an proposal for a new wiki here. And I would like to ask for your support.
In this wiki there will be an article on all existing minerals. It will describe all the properties of the mineral and everything there is to know about it. And how would it be different from Wikipedia articles about minerals? In everything. It would be more accurate, with lots of pictures, and complete. Of course that' s going to take a lot of work, but I think it's worth it.
- Lois131, so kind of like Wikispecies? Maybe the scope should be more broad in that case, chemicalwiki or something.
Also, consider just doing this on Wikiversity or Wikibooks. — Alexis Jazz (talk or ping me) 15:51, 13 August 2022 (UTC)
- @Alexis Jazz Yes, you're right, it will be kind of like Wikispecies. Only instead of organisms, the articles will contain minerals, rocks, and possibly chemical elements. Yes, it could also have the Earth's history, the geology of the Earth, since that would include minerals and rocks. And then the wiki could be called Geowiki.Lois131 (talk) 17:27, 13 August 2022 (UTC)